Saturday, April 19, 2008

A mixed up day

It was a day of mixed blessings. The biggest thing that happened is that I got my first royalty advance check and promptly deposited it in my account. I guess this is all real, huh?

I took my boot sock to the shop to work on and people kept stopping to admire it. The owner said her first thought when she saw it was "I could do that." My editor keeps cautioning me to not get carried away with complex lace designs as there are alot of people who wouldn't buy the book because they didn't feel they could knit them. What do you think?

Then, when I got home, I found two skeins of Lorna's Laces worsted weight yarn in a denim color for me to use for legwarmers. Also in the mail box was a package from Crystal Palace with their yummy Panda Silk in a butterscotch color. It's wonderful to have yarn companies just sending me whatever I ask for to design with! My office has baskets of yarn overflowing at this point.

The rest of the day went downhill, at least as far as designing went. I really wanted to use a pattern I had tried out with fingering weight, only I wanted to adapt it to a sport weight knee sock. My math brain was apparently on vacation and I struggled with trying to figure it out for a couple of hours. I finally thought I "had it" and cast on and did the ribbing. Then I promptly messed up the first rows of the pattern and had to rip it out. Maybe it just doesn't want to be this pattern. Maybe the knitting gods are trying to tell me something.

1 comment:

dolmakilroys said...

Congrats re your book! This fan of your terrific patterns is waiting in line to receive a copy. The first successful sock I ever knit was your Lacy Wool-Ease pattern (I've made about 6 pairs for gifts since!) and other patterns like the Aran cable, Bell Lace Wool-Ease and Texture & Lace Socks are also superb. In terms of boot socks, my answer to your question is that your editor should let you do 'exactly what you want to do' because you're the expert who's most familiar with your considerable socknitting design talent! Knit on!